Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My sketching tools and a self portrait



Managed to get three of the scavenger hunt items into this drawing. My favorite drawing tools: I use a Pentel Quicker Clicker (old style with the straight barrel that I prefer) is what I do the initial sketch with. Then I fill in with watercolors using my Windsor Newton Pocket Watercolor set ~ well used and very messy looking! ~ and a Cotman watercolor brush. Once the watercolor is dry, I go back and ink in where I want with a Micron pen. The sketchbook is the second hunt item. I use a Holbein Multi-Drawing Book/OF, which is about 5 x 7" and has paper that can take watercolors and multi-media. I like it because it is small, tucks easily in my travel bag, and I can fold the previous pages and front cover directly behind the current sheet so I don't have floppy pages blowing about. And then it ties shut with a nifty bit of twill tape built into the book. Great travel sketchbook!


And last item for the hunt in this picture is my self portrait. Sort of! Portraits aren't my strong suit and I ended up making myself look both younger (easy to hide that gray hair!) and thinner (I'm working on it! Have lost 50 lbs since October 06!) and then, the ink pen decide this was the time to get blotty on me so where I was trying to put very light hints of ink, I got spotty blotches. Oh well! Had fun anyway. You can judge for yourself how I did by comparing the photo at left taken a few months ago. I've lost another 15 lbs since then!

No comments: